Subj:  [corp-watchers] Announcing Crocodyl, Corpwatch's New
Collaborative Research Project
Date:  Thu, 13 Dec 2007 16:27:56 -0800 (PST)
From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WHAT'S NEW ON CORPWATCH Holding Corporations Accountable <<
http://www.corpwatch.org >>

CorpWatch would like to offer a sneak preview of our most recent
project to our loyal members before we announce it more broadly.
Crocodyl (a creative acronym for Collaborative Research on
Corporations) started in beta about three months ago and we are now
preparing to launch our outreach strategy.  We want to give CorpWatch
subscribers a chance to create a login and try it out, perhaps
creating a company profile (you get a byline) or reading up on one of
the companies in our database.  Let us know what you think, if you
want to participate, or what we can do to make it a better corporate
accountability tool.

Crocodyl.com is a collaborative research project to profile
transnational corporations, instigated by CorpWatch and working with
partner organizations such as Center for Corporate Policy and the
Corporate Research Project of Good Jobs First.  Together, we are
building a free and open source database of corporate profiles to
provide information for activists, journalists, researchers,
government officials and others interested in improved scrutiny of
corporations.

If you would like to join us in holding corporations accountable, all
you have to do is visit Crocodyl.com and create an account to publish
your research. Our current project is to create stub profiles the
Global Fortune 500, but the list of target companies that is linked
from the homepage is where the majority of our best work is taking
place so far.  A few examples are:

Total S.A. http://www.crocodyl.com/wiki/total_s_a

Roche Group http://www.crocodyl.com/wiki/Roche_Group

You can also add a new company to the database and we can guide you
through the process.  If you are strapped for time but would still
like to publish research, we would be happy to train interns or anyone
who wants to learn the basics of corporate research.

Crocodyl.com is a hybrid-wiki, which means that anyone can write,
edit, or copy the company profiles on the site, provided they create
an account.  In order to provide a balance of perspectives and
expertise, as well as benefit from first-hand information from
countries where multinational corporations operate, we are creating an
international team of editors and researchers from groups including
Focus on the Global South, Corporate Europe Observatory and others. We
invite others to join the editing team, give us feedback and/or
directly contribute to the site, as you see fit.

All of our research is in the public domain, and we aim to feed
information to campaigners and other corporate researchers with the
goal of creating a living history of corporations, mitigating the
impact of institutional memory loss that sometimes afflicts the
nonprofit sector.

For information on our monthly telephone and online seminars, or for
an introduction and walk through contact Ian Elwood at 510 271 8080 or
email [EMAIL PROTECTED]  To join the Crocodyl listserv and
participate in the conversation, send an email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Online at www.crocodyl.com

Support Corpwatch's work to hold corporations accountable on human
rights, labor rights and environmental justice issues through
investigative journalism, education and activism.

Help us bring the critical information and resources that tens of
thousands of you access every month by making a contribution to
CorpWatch. http://www.corpwatch.org/donate

CorpWatch -- Holding Corporations Accountable
1611 Telegraph Ave, Suite 720 Oakland, CA  94612   USA Tel:
510-271-8080 Fax: 510-271-8083 URL: http://www.corpwatch.org Also
check out http://www.warprofiteers.com!