Shortly after posting my thoughts on "The Diving Bell and the
Butterfly", a flick that I could not watch because its stroke victim
hero was just a little too close for comfort, I received this note from
Richard Greener, an old friend and novelist who after receiving a new
heart underwent an extended period of paralysis. Fortunately, he is okay
now.

---

I haven't seen it and probably won't, for the same reasons you
suggested, but your brief description reminded me of my own difficulties
editing my second novel while paralyzed in the hospital.

I could only move my head. Maria had a system installed whereby I could
push a feather-weight, flat metal plate with the right side of my head
and activate a tape recorder. If someone turned the pages of my
manuscript for me, I could then dictate indicating line number,
paragraph and word to spot changes I wanted to make or to answer
question my editor had asked.

All communication was between my editor and my wife. Maureen, my editor,
would send her comments/questions via email and Maria would then relate
them with page, paragraph, etc. After dictating my changes or
explanations, Maria would take the tape and translate it to email form
to send on to Maureen. Toward the very end of this process I was able to
sit in a wheelchair and the index finger on my right hand was responding
well enough to turn the recorder on and off. But I needed the recorder
to be affixed to my right hand otherwise it would slip away an inch or
two and that was too far for me to retrieve it.

I remember thinking that I would try to write another novel using this
process and actually looking forward to it. I had no hope of recovery at
the time. I thought I would spend the rest of my life hospitalized and
paralyzed, tube fed and diapered. I owe everything to Maria who always
said, even in the darkest days, that this was all temporary. I'm so lucky.