On Jan 11, 2008, at 9:50 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:
On Jan 11, 2008, at 9:19 PM, Michael Perelman wrote:

But some
regional cultures are of value.

The U.S. is different from India. <...> Really,
where is this homogenization going on?

Answered in upcoming messages (one by me, and the other by Raghu) in
your mailbox.

The question of why regional cultures should/need be preserved seems
to mirror the one about why species diversity needs to be preserved!
Rather than list the various benefits and advantages to the ecosystem,
I think it suffices to point out in both cases that they deserve
preservation because they desire it and there is no reason offered on
why they should be steamrolled over (as opposed to a "culture" like
say the KKK), intentionally or otherwise.

       --ravi