You can look to California to see one kind of response to "ordinary recessions."
Arnold is planning to make massive cuts, concentrated on k-14 education,
Medi-Cal,
and welfare.  Almost everything will hit the poor especially hard.  And the Dems
have protested, but cannot raise taxes without 2/3 support of both houses of the
legislature and Arnold's signature.  No strong voices yet.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 530-898-5321