Jim Devine wrote:

> It's true that a lot of the emptiness of the DP is fake populism or
> reflects the shortcomings of true populism.  (Much of what Edwards
> said fits in either or both categories.) But amazingly, the real
> primaries run by the donors filters theses populisms out too.

I would take that as evidence that no substantial sector of the
capitalist class is particularly worried about politi cal danger
stemming from current economic turmoil. No one seems to be saying, as
Papa Kennedy did back in the '30s, "I would be willing to give up half
my money if left to enjoy the other half in peace."

If a real threat were perceived, there would be ruling-class support for
(relatively) radical politics (as well as some support for radical
right-- extra-legal-- politics). Both occurred in the '30s.

Carrol