me:
>  I think that was
> in 1972, when the CP ran its own independent campaign, but most of its
> members supported McGovern

Charles:
> Did you do a poll of the members or did you get this info from the
> FBI ?  Most party members are not public because there is not freedom of
> political association for Communists in the US.

no, I didn't do a poll. But that was the "word on the street" and my
friends in the CP didn't deny it.

Me:
>  and the USSR, its patron, supported Nixon.

Charles:
> Afterall, Dems and Reps are both parties of Big Business so why not
> support the one who was going to win and with whom you have to negotiate
> nuclear weapons treaties.

and Nixon was an ally of J. Edgar Hoover, who was busy denying freedom of
political association to the CP. Yes, Hoover shuffled off to that big
dress shop in the sky that year, but his "truth" went marching on...

--
Jim Devine / "Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti." (Go your own
way and let people talk.) --  Karl, paraphrasing Dante.