* Joachim Schrod <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-05-07T13:09:49]
> The description page for Email::Filter itself is sparse, to say the
> least. For Mail::Audit, at least some future plans are written down;
> no such information about Email::Filter. (E.g., what about missing
> functionality for migration from Mail::Audit, or a substitute for
> Mail::Audit's procmail migration support).

The situation is something like this:

* I am a big loser, and still haven't quite converted my own mail filtering
  from procmail to Perl.  (Instead, I've written a lot of Perl to generate my
  procmail configuration.)

* Where I work, we use some long-established code that uses Mail::Audit.

This means that I have a pretty strong incentive to work on Mail::Audit, and
less to work on Email::Filter.  This is too bad, because Mail::Audit is
definitely the crazier code.

> As a further example, let's take this open bug ticket:
> http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=25027
> Does this really mean that it is hard to migrate the logging
> component of one's Mail::Audit setup?

Yes, probably.  Email::Filter is really very minimal.  It doesn't have logging
built in, so it would need to be added by a plugin.  Unfortunately, the
existing triggers are not well-documented, and they're very minimal and could
use enhancement.  (I have often found that the Email:: code is nice and simple,
but usually just a little too simple for me to /use/;  I try to add the needed
stuff without compromising the simplicity.)

For that logging bug, there's an ideal place to add a trigger, but there's no
way to get the needed data.

> But anyhow, as I wrote: I have a working setup with Mail::Audit, and
> that module is listed in PEPMaintained, so I thought it is a
> maintained PEP module. Nevertheless I consider a switch, if that is
> considered best-practice and if somebody could please explain why it
> is best practice, could point out some advantages of the new module.

If I were you, I would stick with what works.  If you have some tuits, it would
be great if you wanted to help make Email::Filter more pluggable, and then port
yourself.  I just don't think you need to switch if it isn't broken for ou.

> Thus I'll repeat my questions:
>  -- Is Email::Filter faster?

Probably.

>  -- Maybe its code quality is better:
>      -- Has it fewer known errors?

I don't think so, but only because you said "known."  The M::A code is a mess.
The Email::Filter code is very simple.

>      -- Or is it bug history better, fewer bugs over time?
>      -- Maybe it is known to abort more seldom?
>      -- Or is it otherwise more stable? How?

Email::Filter seems (based on my gut) so much less used that it's hard to say.
Its bugs tend to be, "why can't I easily X?" while Mail::Audit's bugs tend to
be "why does X fail in this weird way under these circumstances?"

>  -- Is its memory footprint smaller?

Almost certainly.

>  -- Are there plans about future features that will be easier to
>     uptake if I switch now?

I have no plans for it, specifically.  Yet.

>      -- In particular, better SpamAssassin integration than the two
>       lines of obvious code from Email::Filter::SpamAssassin?

In my own prototype of an Email::Filter script for myself, I used my
Mail::SpamAssassin::SimpleClient.  I agree that SA needs to be way, way easier
to use from E::F.

> One or two (or more :-) of such advantages would be a very good
> incentive for the additional work that needs to be spent migrating a
> working installation. Maybe, not only for me; this could be something
> for the PEP Wiki. (And if some folks would answer these questions, I'm
> willing to spend the time to add a summary of the answers to the
> Wiki.)

Yeah, I need to get better at adding "to do" items to the wiki, so that
volunteers or knowledge-seekers can more easily see what's done and what isn't.

--
rjbs