On Fri, 18 May 2018 at 11:29, Petr Šabata <con...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 10:55:02AM +0100, Dave Cross wrote:
> > See https://log.perl.org/2018/05/goodbye-search-dot-cpan-dot-org.html

> Thanks for bringing this up.

> > This means that the URLs included in RPMs of CPAN modules will need to
> > change to MetaCPAN URLs.

> Well, that's sad news.

I don't think so. I've used MetaCPAN exclusively for the last five years. I
think it's a better site.

> Regarding the change, it's good they will keep the old URLs
> working, quoting:

>      Shortly, a link will be added to all pages on
>      search.cpan.org to inform users of the upcoming change.
>      After about a month, all traffic will be redirected
>      to the equivalent MetaCPAN page.

Yes. I'm not suggesting that you'll need to change everything immediately.
The redirects will mean that the old URLs will continue to work
indefinitely. But you should change the web site that is listed in new
packages.

> I vaguely remember there were some differences between
> cpan.org and metacpan.org in what they considered released
> vs. in development.  Some of the packages I was maintaining
> were affected by that.  I suppose that's no longer an issue
> given that MetaCPAN is going to be the only source.

I think the change needs to be this. Currently, CPAN RPMs contain URLs like
this:

http://search.cpan.org/dist/Moose

That should be replaced with:

https://metacpan.org/release/Moose

> > Please let me know if I can be any help making this happen.

> I wonder if creating a "CPAN URL" macros for URL and Source
> would make sense in the long term + to clean the SPEC files
> but I wouldn't want to overengineer things here :)

I assume there's a single piece of code that generates the URL from the
module details. Isn't that all that needs to change?

I'm going to create a patch for cpanspec as that's the tool I use to create
RPMs.

Cheers,

Dave...