Dear Andrej,

On 23/02/12 06:56 +1300, Andrej wrote:
On 22 February 2012 18:20, Nick Urbanik <nick.urba...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
Dear Folks,

We use a lot of busy OpenLDAP servers and a lot of Perl, with
persistent Net::LDAP connections to the servers.  The problem is:
How good is the connection to the server?

Not that I'm an expert perl coder, or know Net::LDAP that well ... but
if you hit that snag (, would it make sense to have a look at

http://search.cpan.org/~mws/ResourcePool-Resource-Net-LDAP-1.0002/

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have looked at the code, which does no
more to verify the aliveness of the connection beyond attempt a bind.
Perhaps that is a better check than doing a base scoped search for the
top-level entry in the directory tree, I don't know.

But surely we are far from alone in dealing with this problem.  The
problem is this:

1. For a busy server, using persistent LDAP connections is essential.
2. These connections time out.
3. The code needs to verify that the connection is still alive before
   depending on it to do an operation we care about.

So how do you all solve item 3?
--
Nick Urbanik http://nicku.org 808-71011 nick.urba...@optusnet.com.au
GPG: 7FFA CDC7 5A77 0558 DC7A 790A 16DF EC5B BB9D 2C24  ID: BB9D2C24