On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 09:11:26AM -0800, Benjamin Stuhl wrote:
> --- Michael G Schwern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [... and the shears went snip, snip, ker-snip ...]
> > #B::Bytecode            [module broken, can't test]
> > #B::C                   [ditto]
> > #B::CC                  [ditto ditto]
> > #B::Concise         [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> > #B::Disassembler        [Wolfgang Laun]
> > #B::Lint            [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> > #B::Stackobj        [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> > #B::Xref            [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> > Byteloader
>
> Byteloader is untestable without a working B::Bytecode (we
> have no way of generating input files for it.

I'm holding out for Wolfgang, he may yet be able to fix them.

> Anyway, Byteloader/B::Bytecode are actually speed _losses_, so IMHO
> they should probably simply be killed - they're just wasted
> space in the distribution. (IIRC, I was the last person to
> seriously hack on them.) And if they get removed from the
> core, they obviously don't need tests ;-).

You are wise. :)

> > CPAN
> > # CPAN::FirstTime [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] in progress
> > Dynaloader
>
> What sort of test does Dynaloader need? If dynaloading
> doesn't work, no dynamic extensions (Socket, Fcntl, IO,
> POSIX, ...) will work, and the errors they'll spew are
> pretty obviously loading problems.

Dynaloader has a good sized documented interface which isn't
necessarily exercised by the core modules.  Test that.

Its also nice to know something a little more organized than
"something exploded when I tried to build Perl".  And when hacking on
DynaLoader, its easier to run a fast test suite than to rebuild Perl
every time you want to check if you broke something leaving the
ultimate rebuild check to the end.

--

Michael G. Schwern   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Perl Quality Assurance      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>         Kwalitee Is Job One