Moin,

On 20-Mar-02 Nicholas Clark tried to scribble about:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 09:13:11PM +0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
>> Nick Ing-Simmons wrote:
>
>> > For lexicals like your $stdout it is a glob ref - what you have there
>> > stringifies it and there isn't a file handle called GLOB(0x12345678)
>> > so it fails - you need to use three-arg form:
>> >
>> >        open STDOUT ,">&",$stdout
>> >
>> > should work.
>>
>> well I was writing a patch for perlfunc, and then I've tested it -- it
>> doesn't work,
>>
>>    open STDOUT ,">&" . fileno($stdout)
>>
>> as suggested by Rafael does work, but that's ugly and not perlish :(
>>
>> Neither the code in perlfunc open()'s section's example works, somebody
>> changed the old working code without testing and broke it.
>
> 1: To me this specific thing sounds like a serious bug.
>    (scoring +1 because it breaks a documentation example, and +1 because
>     the $someone who hacked the core in the area thinks it should work,
> but
>     it doesn't)
>
> 2: (For the perl-qa people) Is there a workable solution yet to making
>    a tool to auto-test all the code examples in the pod?

I hacked once something together, but it stumbled on some silly thing
like "how to mark example code that should be tested".

I proposed just to test everything and then clean up - but that is probably
too much work.

Cheers,

Tels

- --
 perl -MDev::Bollocks -e'print Dev::Bollocks->rand(),"\n"'
 evangelistically repurpose compelling markets

 http://bloodgate.com/perl       My current Perl projects
 PGP key available on http://bloodgate.com/tels.asc or via email