En op 4 oktober 2002 sprak Michael G Schwern:
> The problem is when you put those two next to each other, one
> promising a friendly interface, one a bare-metal interface,
> it confuses the intent of the module. Is it for Joe End User
> or is it for Joe Core Hacker?

A module to report memory usage of any process (not just yourself),
is do-able: on some Unices you might trample thru /proc file system;
on Windows, the Performance Registry, and so on. But has it been done?
I searched CPAN and could not find such a module. And, if you were to
write such a module, what should you call it?

I would find such a module generally useful in that it gives a sysadmin
view of a Perl process (is it a memory pig compared to a Java process,
say). Admittedly, such a module may not be very useful in figuring out
how much memory a perl data structure is using, but I don't see how
sbrk is any better in that regard. For a more fine-grained view, you
need hooks into Perl internals (such as the Perl malloc).

/-\