On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 05:57:41PM +0200, H.Merijn Brand wrote:
> 1. use_ok should have an entry in the manual for minimal version
>
>       use_ok ("Test::More", 0.47);

This currently doesn't work quite right.  Observe...

$ perl -MTest::More -wle 'plan tests => 1;  use_ok("Text::Soundex", 0.20)'
1..1
not ok 1 - use Text::Soundex;
#     Failed test (-e at line 1)
#     Tried to use 'Text::Soundex'.
#     Error:  Import directive '0.2' was not recognized at (eval 1) line 3
# Looks like you failed 1 tests of 1.

The trouble is use_ok does this:

    require "Text::Soundex";
    Text::Soundex->import(0.20);

this is different than "use Text::Soundex 0.20".  In the latter, Perl
handles the version check itself.  But in the former, Text::Soundex's import
routine does the work.  Normally, Exporter will emulate the version check
but if you're not using Exporter, as Text::Soundex does not, anything could
happen.

For similar reasons, Test::More can't check itself.

$ perl -MTest::More -wle 'plan tests => 1;  use_ok("Test::More", 0.40)'
1..1
not ok 1 - use Test::More;
#     Failed test (-e at line 1)
#     Tried to use 'Test::More'.
#     Error:  You tried to plan twice!  Second plan at (eval 1) line 3
# Looks like you failed 1 tests of 1.
schwern@blackrider:~/src/devel/Test-Simple$

I'll have to put in some special case code to make it work right.

> 2. I'm testing conversions to and from Unicode

Unicode... wasn't he the bad guy in the Transformers Movie?

--

Michael G. Schwern   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Perl Quality Assurance      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>         Kwalitee Is Job One