On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 11:30:47PM +0000, Fergal Daly wrote:
> I'm not sure about that 25%. Say the pmip calibrator doesn't fit in the CPU
> cache on any machine, then if the tested algorithm fits in the CPU cache on
> one machine but not on another then there will be a huge difference in the
> number of "perl seconds" they require.
>
> Worse still, if the pmip calibrator fits in the cache on my fancy new machine
> I'll probably get lots of false negatives because everything seems taking
> "perl ages" to run. Then you have the multi user machine where the test
> passes when the machine is quiet but fails when's there lots of cache
> contention.

I disbelieve such low level considerations will manifest themselves
as large differences during a single testing process.  Remember, perl runs
tons of machine code for just one line of Perl.  This isn't C.

Also, remember this is CPU time, not wallclock.

> You also have a (somewhat rarer) problem with people changing CPUs and not
> recalibrating their pmips.

The recalibration would happen at runtime, not install time.  Yes, this will
eat a few seconds, but it would be more accurate.  C'est le testing.

> If Test::Harness had a protocol for warnings rather than just pass and fail
> then this would be more useful,

print STDERR or diag().  Test::Harness doesn't need to know anything about
warnings.  If it can't fail its not really a test.

--
Michael G Schwern        [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
It's Highball time!