On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 04:43:12PM +0200, H.Merijn Brand wrote:
> > Please consider 0.50 very soon, in which you fix 'err' calls that are an
> > obvious mistake given defined-or functionality in blead and 5.8.x-dor:
>
> That would be too easy to call. here's a patch ...

Thank you.  Patch provisionally rejected.  Here's why.

By adding a new keyword dor has broken backwards compatibility.  Test::More
is doing nothing wrong by current standards.  main::err() is fully declared
before its use.  There is no ambiguity.

Now with dor its suddenly a keyword and code breaks at no fault to the
programmer.  Its not just a warning, its a syntax error.  Upgrading from 5.8
to 5.10 will break code.  This is a problem.  Its a problem every time we
add a new keyword.

So, something must be done to fix this.  Getting everyone to patch up their
code for 5.10 is an option of *last* resort.  This is why I'm rejecting the
patch.

The challenge for you:  Make dor work with Test::More, as written, to
illustrate that it won't cause havoc with all code that contains a
subroutine called err().

If this is not possible, the minimum that should happen is 5.8 contains
a warning about the future reserved words.  This follows the usual pattern
of breaking compatibility.  Warn about it in one stable series then eliminate
it in the next.

--
Michael G Schwern        [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Home of da bomb