Selon Michael G Schwern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 09:54:44PM +0100, S?bastien Aperghis-Tramoni wrote:
> > Instead of running the code on one server, where it's a problem, why
> > not running on machines where all prereq modules are already installed,
> > i.e. on machines where one *wants* to install the module ? Let's add an
> > option to CPANPLUS so that it run Devel::Cover on any module that it
> > has to install and include the coverage information in the test report.
>
> Not a bad idea.  Issues I can think of...
>
> * Devel::Cover is very slow, I don't know if you'd want it on all the time
>   like test reporting.

Right, this is slow, but for someone that want to know if the module
is well tested, this information may help to gauge the quality (or
the kwalitee) of this module. And for cpansmokers, I'd say speed
has no importance.

If the speed really is an issue, it can be solved by running the test
suite with Devel::Cover in another CPANPLUS process.

> * As mentioned, Devel::Cover is not perfect and often screws up test
>   results, threading particularly is a problem, so that it will give
>   false negatives.  This is a common problem, one example is Test::More.

An interesting question would be: from all the CPAN Testers reports,
how many perl are built with thread support enabled? I know mine is
because it's the default perl included with the Mandrake distribution,
but RGS annouced that the next one won't have thread support, because
of the troubles it creates.

The next interesting question is: how many modules use/need threads?
If I believe CPANTS, not much.

    sqlite> SELECT dist.id, dist.dist, dist.author, prereq.requires
    FROM dist, prereq WHERE prereq.requires like '%hread%'
    AND prereq.requires not like '%ail%' AND dist.id=prereq.distid;

returns 17 results, 16 of which are in the Thread::* namespace (and
are released by Elizabeth Mattijsen). The only one left is SNMP::Server.

I never dealed with thread problems, but from reading the Perl
documentation, I always had the feeling that Perl thread support
has never been considered very stable.

This is to say: ok, maybe Devel::Cover don't deal very well with
threads, but if there's so few modules on the CPAN that use threads,
maybe it can be considered as a low priority issue.

--
Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni

Close the world, txEn eht nepO.