On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 02:00:57PM +1000, Adam Kennedy wrote:
> Michael G Schwern wrote:
> > I'm going through some work to restore Test::More and Test::Harness to work
> > on 5.4.5, minor stuff really, and I'm wondering if its worth the trouble.
> >
> > Has anyone seen 5.004_xx in the wild?  And if so, were people actively
> > developing using it or was it just there to run some old code and they
> > were actually developing on a newer perl?
>
> I've seen it on occasion, and it's general on large old IRIX servers,
> and similar aged things. CVS repositories and other boxes that have
> provided the same services pretty much forever and have never had a
> compelling reason to upgrade.

Some large financial companies are still using this version.

> I guess the larger question for you is not should you support 5.004, but
> would your abandonment of 5.004 cause a dependency cascade and cause
> other modules that target 5.004 to lose their state as well.
>
> I'd say given the omnipresence of Test::Simple/More, stay 5.004
> compatible is it all possible.

I would say that this cascade effect is precisely why you *should*
drop 5.004 compatability. There's no excuse other than "if it ain't broke,
don't fix it" for running such an archaic Perl. People should be encouraged
to move to a more modern environment whenever possible.

Ben