On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 12:37:28PM +1000, Adam Kennedy wrote:
> If anyone cares about this enough to do something about it, I've
> previously outlined a scheme for supporting statistics in CPAN in a way
> that covers all the bases (including #perl picking it apart for about a
> day).

The problem becomes the reliance on a CPAN shell.  If they're still using
an old Perl I doubt they're using an up-to-date CPAN shell... or a CPAN
shell at all.  So you only get statistics from a select group and everything
gets skewed towards those who keep things up to date.  At least for the
first few years.

To avoid this one would put the phone-home capabilities into the module
installer itself.  Now you have the problem of decentralization and each
module author being responsible for making their module phone home.  With
a Module::PhoneHome dropped into the Makefile/Build.PL (they can
distribute a copy with their module as things like Test::More are done)
at least they don't have to reinvent the wheel.  But then stats are selected
by individual author who wishes to have their mod phone home.

Sucks either way.

--
Michael G Schwern     [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.pobox.com/~schwern
Ahh email, my old friend.  Do you know that revenge is a dish that is best