On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 08:51:01AM -0300, Adriano Ferreira wrote:
> Instead of giving the seed for shuffling, the list can be predetermined
> with the C<list> argument.
>
>   $ prove -b -D -d -s --list=1,2,0,3,4 0 1 2 3 4
>
> will run the same sequence everywhere, without concern for
> differences between random number generators.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was worried about.  Why not just write:

        prove -b -D -d 1 2 0 3 4

this even avoids having to write special code to handle Andy's worry about
large lists of arguments.

        cat list | xargs prove

prove is a command line utility.  Use the command line.

> I am not sure whether this verification is desirable or practical. In
> order to be correct, yes. But trying to reproduce shuffled tests will
> always fall apart if the number of test varies or the original order
> of the test scripts. There are many involved factors: I count on
> perl-qa to help revealing what is worth checking or not, so the patch
> can be tuned.

Why would the number of test files vary when you trying to reproduce a
previous test run?

--
Michael G Schwern     [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.pobox.com/~schwern
Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.