Moin Marcello,

On Wednesday 02 November 2005 18:36, Marcello wrote:
> Tels ha scritto:
> >
> > Moin,
> >
> > On Wednesday 02 November 2005 18:02, Marcello wrote:
> >>Tels ha scritto:
[snip]

> >>Valid XHTML is also valid XML.
> >
> > But valid XHTML doesn't work well in the praxis. (It offers nothing
> > what HTML can't do, but creates more problems)
> >
> > And it still doesn't solve the problem, because a:
> >
> > * div with 1px border
> > * table cell with 1px border
> >
> > look exactly in the browser, but have much different (X)HTML source.
>
> Testing 'visual equivalency' of two ([x]html|svg|whatever) documents is
> unfeasible IMHO. We need a compromise, like deciding to use a div or a
> table to produce some visual effect.
>
> This is required anyway, because while it's true that there are a dozen
> ways to generate the same page, they will differ wildly on some
> relevant aspects (e.g. browser compatibility, table- or css- based
> layout, etc.), so you have to make a decision at some point and choose
> one.

Well, yes I did. :) The problem arose when I switched from "one table cell
per node" to "3x3 table cells per node", and again when I switched theway
CSS classes were used and again when I changed them again etc. Each time
the source changed, but the basic output remained the same - and yet I
had to adapt dozends of test.

That was the original problem, and so far I haven't found  a way to really
avoid it. But the discussion has been interesting :)

best wishes,

Tels

- --
 Signed on Wed Nov  2 20:07:47 2005 with key 0x93B84C15.

 "To be beautiful is enough! If a woman can do that well who should
 demand more from her? You don't want a rose to sing." -- Thackeray