A. Pagaltzis wrote:
> * Chris Dolan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2006-02-02 16:55]:
>> On Feb 1, 2006, at 10:35 PM, Tyler MacDonald wrote:
>>> I really like this idea. But as you pointed out, it's not just
>>> authors that need to worry about running these tests, it's
>>> packagers (ppm/deb/etc), automated testers
>>> (cpants/testers.cpan.org/etc), and  hackers.
>> No, I disagree. I'm specifically talking about author tests, NOT
>> packager tests. Things like Test::Spelling are pointless and
>> difficult for packagers to execute because Test::Spelling relies
>> on  an external aspell or ispell program *and* performs
>> differently in  the presence of an author's custom dictionary
>> (mine has "Dolan"; does  yours?)
>>
>> These specifically are not exhaustive tests but spit-and-polish
>> tests.
>
> I was just gonna say. It’s pointless for anyone but the author to
> check POD or test coverage. Only under the assumption that the
> author was negligent and shipped a distribution without running
> the POD tests does it make any sense for a packager to run them.
> And then it still doesn’t make sense for *every* packager to run
> them. Similarly for Devel::Cover – what’s the packager to do,

Normally I'd agree, but that's not 100% set in stone. I work on
Linux/Win32 and run the usual pod syntax/coverage tests on those platforms.

I also have FreeBSD servers for which package could/would be created. On
more than one occasion, I've had pod2html/man (troff) errors under
FreeBSD that were only found by running the author tests there, even
though the pod syntax/coverage was perfectly fine on two other platforms.

It's these sorts of problems where the packager running those tests are
quite beneficial...Especially on platforms where the packagers/dists may
be adding patches to the core dist.

-=Chris