Offer Kaye wrote:
On 2/6/06, Adam Kennedy wrote:
But I'm not really too worried any more, the CamelPack means it's much
easier not to just install from source than use the PPM system.
s/not/now/

Installing from souce == compiling every module that needs it... How
is that *easier* than installing a pre-compiled package?

Of course I'm assuming that the PPM method *works* as intended...
obviously it doesn't... but in an ideal world, all else being equal,
PPM would be easier, IMHO.

I didn't say it uses less resources, I said it's easier.

Installing from source is easier because I have some level of control if something goes wrong. I can contact the author or take over maintainership if needed.

With PPM I'm reliant on one company to create PPMs (in the default case) over which I have no control, and if there's a problem I don't really have any influence or ability to get it fixed.

Adam K