Hello everyone-

I'm working on a presentation of Perl::Critic for the
local perlmongers group.  As part of the presentation,
I would like to make some comments about the current
industry trends around software quality.  Basically,
I'd like to assert that there is a growing emphasis on
software quality, give some examples that demonstrate
my assertion, and offer some possible explanations for
the trend.  Here's what I've got so far:

<posit>

The growing interest in software quality is evident by
the emergence of the Phalanx project and testing
services like CPANTS and SpikeSource.  There has also
been a lot of growth in the number of Test::* modules
on CPAN and several new quality-related publications
such as "Perl Best Practices" and "Perl Testing: A
Developer's Notebook."  And all this is underscored by
the proliferation of iterative and test-driven
development methodologies.

This trend is being driven by a "flight to quality"
among software consumers.  When selecting a software
product, consumers are not just looking at feature
sets, but they are also starting to look for
indicators of quality and durability that enhance
their return on investment by prolonging the service
life of the product.   At the same time, IT managers
are leveraging quality as a defense against
outsourcing.  By lowering maintenance costs via
quality control, managers can avoid (or at least
postpone) having to scrap their entire system and
rebuild from scratch in India.

</posit>

So that's my theory.  Do you think my assertion is
correct?  Can you think of any other examples (in the
Perl community or otherwise) that demonstrate the
shift toward better quality software?  Is this
phenomenon limited to open-source products?  Are there
some commercial examples as well?  What do you suppose
are the economic/business/cultural drivers behind the
quality trend?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts,

-Jeff