Moin,

On Saturday 18 March 2006 08:12, Adam Kennedy wrote:
>  From my understanding, one of the little idiosyncrasies of
> Makefile.PL/Build.PL installers (including MI variants of both) is that
> in order to make sure that the Makefile and Build use the correct perl
> installation, you should always be explicitly running M/B.PL with the
> perl you want to install the module with, and NOT necesarily with the
> default perl.
>
> This is why installation instructions read
>
> perl Makefile.PL
> make
> make test
> make install
>
> and not
>
> ./Makefile.PL
> make
> make test
> make install

For what a tiny fraction of users is there a distinction between these
two? And how many users read the insturctions at all, and if, do get the
subtle difference or just use "./Makefile.PL" anyway?

I guess changing Makefile.PL to non-executable will result in a big outcry
of all the people who only have one perl installed and find the added
hassle annoying.

(I always use "perl Makefile.PL" but this is just a habit, with no
thought, I cannot remember having sit at a computer with more than one
Perl installed, ever)

Best wishes,

Tels

--
 Signed on Sat Mar 18 09:34:39 2006 with key 0x93B84C15.

 "Look, I'm about to buy me a double barreled sawed off shotgun and show
 Linus what I think about backspace and delete not working." -- some
 anonymous .signature