Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 10:20:29AM +0100, Tels wrote:
B when it breaks, end-users cannot fix the problem for themselves, they need to bug the author and he has to release a new version. (Good luck with that with sparsely maintained modules...)

Last time this happened to me, I just replaced the bundled version
with a newer one.  No need to bug the author (though I did verify
that others already had).

(Since then, I've heard (but haven't confirmed) that just installing a
newer MI and running Makefile.PL in the broken dist will do this
automatically.  Is this correct?)

No, although if you delete the inc directory entirely, the Makefile.PL should latch onto the system version and go into author mode, which for the purposes of installation is almost entirely the same.

HOWEVER, that requires that they NOT be using a custom extension, and than the commands used in the Makefile.PL match those in the current version of Module::Install.

The command list isn't entirely frozen yet, so while it may work, there's some risks.

Once the commands have frozen, this will be a lot safer to do.

Adam K