Moin,

On Sunday 02 April 2006 16:37, Sébastien Aperghis-Tramoni wrote:
> Adam Kennedy wrote:
[snip]
> This is a little harder with Module::Build as it has a few dependencies
> that ask 5.005 or 5.6, although in some cases incorrectly. I send
> patches so modules like File::Temp or ExtUtils::Constant work with
> 5.004 (and maybe earlier) but their author haven't yet released updated
> versions. With these patches (and if the test suites of some of these
> are fixed), several modules can probably work on 5.004 or earlier with
> little to no changes.

OTOH, who still runs pre-5.8.x code deserves what they get.

There are horrible bugs in older Perls, and I don't know why people still
insist using insecure, buggy and feature-lacking code like 5.6. or even
gasp 5.004. Just think "Unicode support", "hash randomization", "memory
leaks".

Using these older Perls means you basically show the hard-working
Perl5-Porters that you don't care for their work in improving Perl.

I know, now people will come out of the wood and say that they have that
old system, and no, they can't upgrade Perl etc, never touch a running
system etc yadda yadda. But what the heck do you then try to upgrade
modules on said system when you didn't want to "touch the system"?

Best wishes,

Tels

--
 Signed on Mon Apr  3 18:28:11 2006 with key 0x93B84C15.

 "I'm not a vegetarian, but I eat animals who are" -- Groucho Marx