Moin,

On Wednesday 05 April 2006 06:43, Adam Kennedy wrote:
> Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
> > * "H.Merijn Brand" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2006-04-04T10:40:39]

[sniplots]
> But there's very little point in using Exporter::Lite because 100 other
> modules use Exporter in any given program.
>
> So even though Exporter::Lite is lite'r than Exporter, the use of
> Exporter is zero, while Exporter::Lite means loading another module,
> and adds another dependency.
>
> And because dependencies are recursive, you inherit it's baggage.
>
> If one dep doesn't work on VMS, now your program doesn't.
>
> And the more dependencies, especially if you are using more than one
> module that does the same thing just because of stylistic differences,
> then it means more problems.
>
> It's not till you hit something like Ricardo's exporter, which does
> some very novel and interesting extra things, that you reach the
> threshold.
>
> It's mostly the same, but if you need the extra parts, then it might be
> worth the extra dependency.

Which is why Graph::Easy will include about 50 lines reinventing
Heap::Binary - it removes the last dependency, uses less memory, is
faster, and it avoids with me dealing with the only other option,
Heap::Simple, because Heap::Simple comes in two flavours, Perl and XS and
_you_ have to choose which to make the dependency, meaning the user
doesn't get a choise other than "needs suddenly a compiler, but is
faster" or "needs still no compiler, but is not much faster than
Heap::Binary".

Anyway, I think that we all agree in principle, but everyone has different
thresholds.

best wishes,

Tels

--
 Signed on Wed Apr  5 18:31:08 2006 with key 0x93B84C15.

 "My wife is just a slow brain, running up the bill.." -- Often misheard
 song lyrics #149