On May 23, 2006, at 10:34 AM, David Golden wrote:

Chris Dolan wrote:
... just checking for the presence of a t/pod_coverage.t file (which is a weak proxy for POD quality, but dramatically easier to measure).

It doesn't check for the existence of a t/pod_coverage.t file. It checks that a string like "use Test::Pod::Coverage" appears properly formatted. E.g. I believe this is sufficient to get the Kwalitee point:

  # t/pod_coverage.t
  __END__
  use Test::Pod::Coverage;

And, unfortunately, it also misses actual perl that doesn't meet its regex expectations. (E.g. see the bug I recently filed for Module::ExtractUse.)

Point taken, apologies for the inaccuracy. However, that supports my argument that pod_coverage is a weak proxy. I say it's much better than nothing, but still weak and the brittleness documented above makes it weaker.

Actually, I'd rather see a robust pod_coverage that just checks for the existence of t/.*pod_coverage.t than a slightly brittle that parses that file. That is, I'd rather see false positives than false negatives. To put it another way, I'll tolerate cheaters to avoid annoying the well-intentioned authors.

Chris
--
Chris Dolan, Software Developer, Clotho Advanced Media Inc.
608-294-7900, fax 294-7025, 1435 E Main St, Madison WI 53703

Clotho Advanced Media, Inc. - Creators of MediaLandscape Software (http://www.media-landscape.com/) and partners in the revolutionary Croquet project (http://www.opencroquet.org/)