David Wheeler wrote:
On Jul 13, 2006, at 05:56, Fergal Daly wrote:

That's funny, it looks like I did put some code in to disable the END
block if it's "require"d rather than "use"d. Turns out I did this to
make MakeMaker happy, so MakeMaker does actually do a full require,

Well, IIRC, both MakeMaker and Module::Build grep for the version line and eval that one line, but not the whole file. The CPAN indexer, OTOH, evals no code but just uses a regular expression search of the module file.

Actually, I believe the CPAN indexer now uses META.yml whenever possible.