On 7/19/06, Fergal Daly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 19/07/06, chromatic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 July 2006 06:03, demerphq wrote:
>
> > Excuse me? Where did I say the code was "broken"?
>
> Wasn't that the implication when you said you've seen misleading line numbers
> many times?
>
> > use Test::More tests => 3;
> >
> > sub my_ok {
> > ok($_[0],$_[1]);
> > }
>
> I don't know why you'd expect this to report the right line numbers; this code
> really *is* broken.

What's wrong with that code? It doesn't do anything useful right now
but you can't argue that a system that stops being useful when you use
subroutines is good.

Hear, hear!

If Test::Builder gave a stack trace rather than a single line number
then this wouldn't be broken,

Yes that would improve things for cases like my_ok(). And i like the
idea you posted elsewhere about showing a stack trace only of the
stuff above where it currently does.

However I dont see how it would help in the case of data driven tests
in a loop. For those the best policy IMO is still to provide a
description. Which is why i wanted it mandatory, or at the least,
harder to avoid than it currently is.

Yves