I will never get used to mailing lists that don't default to "reply all"...

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joe McMahon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: July 21, 2006 11:43:31 AM PDT
To: A. Pagaltzis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Test::More, BEGIN use_ok, plan, what?

On Jul 21, 2006, at 9:50 AM, A. Pagaltzis wrote:

Hi Adriano,

* Adriano Ferreira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2006-07-21 15:20]:
If I run this script

   use Test::More;

   plan tests => 2;

   BEGIN { use_ok( 'My', 'foo' ); }

   ok(1);
   is(foo, 1);

I got the output, which says nothing about the use_ok. It is
not counted as a test, it does not ruin the plan, it does its
job (requiring and importing a &foo subroutine).

I assume it’s because, despite the order in the file, the BEGIN
block runs before the `plan tests => 2` line.
That's correct; since the "plan" is invoked separately, the BEGIN block's already long gone by the time "plan" executes. Putting the plan on the "use Test::More" would fix this.

Sure looks like a bug.
Dunno whether it's a doc bug or a real one, though. Maybe the use_ok should barf if no plan's in place yet (whether it's a real plan or no_plan).

 --- Joe M.