On Sep 12, 2006, at 9:44 PM, Adam Kennedy wrote:

That's fine, but in my opinion, a slightly better solution for author tests is to include them in revision control (i.e. SVN) but to exclude them from the public distro via MANIFEST.SKIP. That's what we do for the Perl::Critic self-compliance tests, for example, which are time-consuming and not relevant to the functionality of Perl::Critic. However, your approach to author- test skipping works well, and is more appropriate for modules which may not have a publicly-exposed revision control system.
*shrug* I could probably be convinced that your approach is better.

For something highly visible like Perl::Critic that's fine, but what tipped it over the line for me was that for ordinary modules repositories are transient, and can't always be relied on.

The only canonical and reliable source we have is what gets uploaded.

[...]

That's a very good point. I'm convinced. To restate what you've said, CPAN is a better long-term software repository than any other system for open source Perl programmers.

Chris

--
Chris Dolan, Software Developer, Clotho Advanced Media Inc.
608-294-7900, fax 294-7025, 1435 E Main St, Madison WI 53703

Clotho Advanced Media, Inc. - Creators of MediaLandscape Software (http://www.media-landscape.com/) and partners in the revolutionary Croquet project (http://www.opencroquet.org/)