And the second obvious question, while I'm thinking about it...

When will we be able to install this from CPAN? :)

Adam K

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi all,
    I have release a pet project on Sourceforge called TidyView, at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/tidyview/
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/tidyview/> Basically it is a Tk GUI to help preview the effect of the plethora
of options provided by Perltidy.
If you dont know what Perltidy is, its a pretty-printer for
Perl-code. You can use it to have all your code consistently
indented and spaced, automagically.
Perltidy is recommended by TheDamian at page 34 of PBP, and he
provides a sample perltidy config file. But if
you wish to tweak this, it is easy to get lost in the hundreds of option
choices available.
You can preview the effect of your selected options on your code,
and if you like them, have a
nicely formatted perltidyrc file saved for you. It can also parse and
present your exisiting perltidyrc files,
and allow you to make incremental adjustments to tighten up your desired
autoamtic code formatting
Obviously it requires Tk and Perltidy, both available from CPAN. It
supports some pretty old Tk versions,
but requires a very recent Perltidy. Additionally, whilst this is in the
early release phase, version and Log::Log4perl are required. I have been working with the author of Perltidy over the past few
months, and he has been using TidyView to debug
and improve Perltidy itself, which is just super.
So if you wish to have a consistent code style for all your (and your dev teams) Perl-code, till you get it looking just right. Its licensed under the same terms as Perl itself, and I am very,
VERY eager to receive feedback, complaints, abuse,
suggestions and patches. There are a list of things I'd like to add in
the TODO file, colourised diff's between what you code
originally looked like and how Perltidy formatted it would be a great
addition, but I haven't a clue how to do it.
Note, there are some people who have expressed the concern that Perltidy can inadvertently change the parse tree of the code it reformats - that is, change the meaning of your code.
However, the developer of Perltidy says no one has every reported
that to him in the many years he's been developing Perltidy, though he's
sure someone (TheDamian would have to be at the top of that
list) could write something sufficiently freaky to do that - but they
havent yet. But if there is enough demand for it, I can add in support
for PPI::Signature to make sure that doesnt ever happen without TidyView
noticing. I haven't done it yet as at the moment it solves a
problem that doesn't exist, and it introduces another dependency.
Patches to flexibly support PPI::Signature are welcome.
The purpose of announcing this on PerlQA is that coding standards
are often lumped into the 'QA'-bucket, so the QA mail-list seems
most appropriate. I hope to announce this more widely (perl monks, CPAN
maybe) in a few weeks.
Thanx for your time,

Leif Eriksen

13/09/2006

IMPORTANT
The contents of this e-mail and its attachments are confidential and intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If
you received this e-mail in error, please notify the HPA Postmaster, [EMAIL
PROTECTED],
then delete  the e-mail.
This footnote also confirms that this e-mail message has been swept for the
presence of computer viruses by Ironport. Before opening or using any
attachments, check them for viruses and defects.
Our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments.
HPA collects personal information to provide and market our services. For more
information about use, disclosure and access see our Privacy Policy at
www.hpa.com.au