Ovid writes:

> From: Shlomi Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > Hmmmm.... you may wish to differentiate between #2 and #3 by saying
> > that a filename is passed as a plain string, while a string is
> > passed by taking a reference to it. That's what Template Toolkit and
> > other modules are doing.
>
> Good call.  That's a common enough idiom that I think it will work
> fine.

Yes, but make sure you do it right.

I've been caught out by passing something like a Path::Class::File
object, which stringifies just fine as a file path, to modules like this
if only they'd just treat it as a string -- but instead overjealous
checking spots that it's a reference and declines to stringify it.

If you get a reference to a blessed object and that object has
overloaded stringification then please just treat it as a string, not a
reference.

Smylers