----- Original Message ----
From: demerphq <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> There is no problem if you do the backtick method I mentioned.
>
> my $in_sync=`someprocess 2>&1`;
>
> and it should be in sync. I seem to recall it has to be, but i cant
> find the source of that claim. But i know that ive never seen any
> synchronization problems with this approach.

There is one serious problem with that:  my process blocks until that's done.
Infinite streams won't work even though we've documented that they should.
Even long-running tests appear to hang.  We also lose the ability to process
test results as they come in.  We have to wait until all of the results come in
and that may or may not happen.

Also, is that syntax portable across all operating systems which Perl runs on?
I can't tell from the docs.

> So I guess it comes down to whats more important: A test counter being
> shown or handling STDOUT/STDERR in a synchronized fashion?

More than just a test counter :)

Cheers,
Ovid

--