Ovid wrote in perl.qa :
> In trying to get runtests to run against the core Perl test suite on a
> freshly built download, I'm having a few difficulties.  'make test' says
> this:
>
>   u=5.02  s=4.72  cu=297.54  cs=98.73  scripts=934  tests=117325
>
> This implies to me that we have 934 .t files in t/, lib/ and ext/.
>
> 'runtests' says this:
>
>   Files=1002, Tests=104613, 963 wallclock secs (269.56 cusr + 78.56 csys =
> 348.12 CPU)
>
> Fewer tests, but more test files?
>
> 'find' says this:
>
>   perl-5.8.8 $ find t ext lib -name '*.t'|wc -l
>   1002
>
> So it appears that there really are 1002 .t files.  What gives?

The tests corresponding to modules that have not being built are not
run. Also, the tests in t/japh are not run normally.

> Also, since I don't know makefiles terribly well, I can't figure out exactly
> how the test suite is getting invoked.  That might help me with 'runtests'.
> Help?

The thing that gets run when "make test" is issued is t/TEST. If you run
"make test_harness" instead, it will invoke t/harness, which does use
Test::Harness (t/TEST is a standalone, simpler script, that exercises
less perl features.)

--
Their notion of time is spread out not in a single dimension but over
many, which all exist in a single, timeless instant.