# from Andy Armstrong
# on Monday 05 February 2007 04:20 am:

>I can't remember whether it's mod_perl or CGI.pm that launches Apache
>   a few times during testing but I imagine there might be a problem
> with multiple Apaches trying to bind to the same port in that case
> too. Ditto anything that tests against a live database.
>
>Unfortunately that disqualifies a whole category of I/O bound tests
>that would otherwise benefit the most.

Well, it disqualifies them from running on the same box/chroot/whatever.
Consider a scheme that uses FAM+rsync to keep another box in lock-step
with your working copy and prepending ssh to the subprocess -- we still
just read the output and exit code from the child.  Distributed tests
will need the same slave/master scheme support as in the concurrent
single-box situation.

--Eric
--
I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a
desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.