On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 11:48:57AM +0000, Adrian Howard wrote:
> Probably being stupid... but if you can point me towards the
> difference between
>   http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.cpan.testers/2007/02/msg415380.html
> and
>   http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.cpan.testers/2007/02/msg415375.html
> I'd appreciate it. Looks like the output of different T::B versions,
> but they seem to be running on identical ones. Me confused.

It's this:
  PERL5LIB =
vs this
  PERL5LIB = /blah/blah/Test-Simple-0.67/blah

The version of Test::Simple distributed with perl 5.6.2, which is
presumably being used by one of your dependencies, is 0.47, so one
result was testing with the earlier version, the other with the current
version.  There was an API change in 0.48.

A simple fix would be to add Test::Simple => 0.48 as a dependency in
your PREREQ_PM.  That, however, might break other stuff in 5.6
installations that depends on the old behaviour.  Yuck.  I hope you
don't mind, but I'm CCing the perl-qa mailing list to see if they have
anything pertinent to say.

To avoid that, you could make perl 5.8.7 (which is when the core's
version of Test::Simple first went above 0.47) a pre-requisite but
that does seem very much like using a hammer to break open a very
small nut.  While everyone seems to just upgrade Test::Simple and to
hell with the consequences, I can't help but feel some concern about
this practice.

    The Law of Daves: in any gathering of technical people, the
    number of Daves will be greater than the number of women.