On 26/02/07, chromatic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Please reconsider autobox.

I second this request.

autobox in on CPAN and works. Moreover, the intent of the work on
lexical pragmas was to enable people to write their own pragmas and
put them on CPAN. (*) So just use it.

Or, maybe you were asking to make autobox the default ? No. That's not
going to happen anytime soon. The implications for backwards
compatibility are too huge. And moreover the feature list for 5.10 is
frozen (almost), because at some point we have to release.

If autobox gets popular, used, stable, it might be included in perl
5.12 core. For the moment I think that's premature and I'd rather have
people adding it as a prerequisite of their modules. (Note that I hope
that 5.12 will happen in a much shorter range of time than we had to
wait between 5.8.0 and today for 5.10.)

(*) I note that autobox does some unclean hacks with $^H and %^H in
order to try to be lexical. That would cause problems in evals. I
think it will have to be rewritten for  recent perls, to use the new
lexical pragma capability.