On Mar 3, 2007, at 8:59 PM, Eric Wilhelm wrote:

Do you comment out the tests => foo and uncomment the no_plan line
whenever you edit tests, or do you use a ternary and the r0/r1 vim
idiom?  Or do you just delete the 'tests' option and type no_plan
longhand?

I never use no_plan, except in the rare cases when a test can't reasonably know how much data it will be processing, as in a test of an arbitrary number of links on a web page.

That means I don't use no_plan when editing tests.

When I add a test, I go and add the tests, keeping a mental note of how many I've added, and then I go to the top of the file, and increment the number. I've added three tests? I increment the number by three.

Sometimes I make a mistake. I'll add four tests but only add three to the count. I run prove, and oh no, the total is wrong. I svn diff to look to see that yes, I've actually added four, and I update the count by one more. I run prove again, and all is well. Commit. Repeat.

It's really not that tough, and I don't mind the iteration. I think as programmers we get far too hung up on the idea of doing everything perfectly once.

--
Andy Lester => [EMAIL PROTECTED] => www.petdance.com => AIM:petdance