On 3/7/07, Michael G Schwern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Any time you start writing a system that involves representing states as
numbers and doing bitmasks and math to add extra meaning, step back and
remind yourself that its 2007 and this is not C and you're not writing a
network protocol.  You shouldn't have to memorize a table or do math in your
head to figure out the basics of what a message means.

I agree, except we are writing a network protocol. Once the test
results are being shipped around to different systems, a network
protocol is in the works.

And god forbid we had more than 100 failure types!

If you want to say "Temporary Redirect" don't say "307" say "Temporary
Redirect"!

How about "temporär adressieren Sie um" or "provisoire réorientez" or
"de tijdelijke werkkracht richt opnieuw". :)

A decent coding system simplifies the translation between machines and
humans and human languages. It is a means of data sanitizing. It
establishes a scheme of the important details within an area that are
agreed upon by the participants. This provides guidance to new
participants, who can see from the coding system what is relevant.

If an existing coding system that many of the user population is
already familiar with can be leveraged, all the better.

If you want to put lots of information into one value, like
categorization, use a hash!  { type => "Redirect", permanent => 0 }

Ok. YAML or XML for serialization? :)