Michael G Schwern writes:

> ... TAP::Parser guarantees that STDOUT and STDERR will be in sync,
> something Test::Harness does not guarantee.
>
> First thing is breaks, and probably most important:  No warnings.

That caught me by surprise this week.  runtests was showing a failure I
didn't understand, so for no particular reason better than 'randomly
changing stuff to see if it makes a difference' I tried it with prove,
and got a useful warning.

Fortunately Ovid was passing my desk at the time, and explained that
runtests needs the -v flag to show warnings.  But I hadn't been
expecting runtests to differ from prove in such a critical way, nor that
warnings would be eaten by default.  And once TAP::Parser becomes more
widely used, it'll be hard for Ovid to happening to be passing the desk
of every user who is puzzled by this ...

> The simplest solution, and one which unblocks Test::Harness 3.0
> because TAP::Parser breaks compatibility in its current state, is to
> remove the syncing feature.

I have no view on whether syncing should be removed (or relegated to an
option, or whatever), but I am in favour of warnings showing up by
default.

Smylers