Eric Wilhelm wrote:
> # from Michael G Schwern
> # on Friday 16 March 2007 02:59 am:
>
>> I chose #--- because 1) its backwards compatible as long as you ignore
>> unknown directives and 2) it allows TAP to stream.  Otherwise its
>> pretty damn inelegant.  We could say that a name ending in ---
>> indicates a forthcoming TAP stream...
>
> Would "a directive ending with '---'" work?
>
> not ok 2 - the most important test in the world # TODO because I said so ---
>   name: the most important test in the world
>   line: 17
>   directive: TODO
>   reason:    because I said so
>
> Or, possibly a trailing "&...\n"

Yeah, it would, but its another ad hoc hack.

After talking with Ovid I've decided to just go with a --- on the next line.

  not ok 2
    ---
    foo: 23

The situation I was worried about, where a TAP displayer might have to wait
for the next test to know if there's diagnostics before it can display the
results is kind of bunk.  A displayer can either display the failure
immediately upon seeing it and update its display when it sees the
diagnostics.  Or it can display the failure and the diagnostics in two parts.