# from Salve J Nilsen
# on Thursday 02 August 2007 08:19 am:

>But this isn't a binary yes/no to POD tests issue. There's no reason
> to make this into an all-or-nothing situation. We can still let the
> end-user be the master of her own world, by allowing her to run the
> "less essential tests" only when she explicitly asks for it. e.g. by
> using $ENV{PERL_AUTHOR_TESTING}, or asking during setup if she wants
> to run the author tests (with default answer "no".)

Yep.

We do need to have "standard" ways to do this.

They need to be incorporated into CPANTS and cpan-testers.

They shouldn't prevent end-users from using otherwise-functioning code.

We also need to make this information clear and accessible to CPAN
authors.

http://perl-qa.hexten.net/wiki/index.php/Best_Practices_for_Testing#TODO

--Eric
--
If the above message is encrypted and you have lost your pgp key, please
send a self-addressed, stamped lead box to the address below.