# from David Golden
# on Friday 17 August 2007 10:03 am:

>On 8/17/07, Eric Wilhelm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>   1.  author (kwalitee, pod, etc)
>>   2.  gui
>>   3.  network
>>   4.  you must have an account/password on $external_service
>>   5.  postgres/mysql/whatever availability/setup/permissions
>>   6.  no modem attached to /dev/ttyS0
>As for different profiles, there's no reason that one couldn't have:
>
>author_t/release
>author_t/kwalitee
>author_t/gui
>author_t/network
>author_t/runs_for_27_hours
>etc.
>

>There really isn't a need to standardize the top level, either, unless
>there is a goal of adding support for it to Module::Build and/or
>ExtUtils::MakeMaker.

Yes, that is the goal.  The toplevel directory should be the same.
While the config-file approach would allow the name to vary, I think
that is over-engineering given that 't/' is an invariant "assumed
directory name".

> there's no need for any standardization below the top level.

Except in that it would conveniently allow smokers to "sign up" for
testing *specific* extra functionality.  That is, "yes, I have network
connectivity" means it is ok to run the "xtra_t/network/" tests.

I'm not saying we have to have a committee establish *all* of the
possible profile names.  If we can just say 'author', 'network',
'exhaustive', and 'gui' for now, I'll be happy.  Are we going to have
to argue over those names too?

>I think the important thing is establishing a *convention* of keeping
>tests intended for developers and not end users out of the "t/"
>directory.

Yes.  What I would like to do to motivate that is to provide the
incentive of a recommended alternative (one which is supported by
tools, smoke testers, etc.)

>And what percent of CPAN
>distros will really include so many author variations anyway?  Let's
>not let the perfect design be the enemy of the good.

As long as we don't hastily shoot ourselves in the foot.

--Eric
--
To succeed in the world, it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be
well-mannered.