Eric Wilhelm wrote:

> Why is it "die 'OS unsupported'" in one case

My understanding is that there was already special-case code to support
that, but adding loads more bits of magic text would be unwieldy.  It
would also require everyone to upgrade whenever new magic text appears
on the scene, which just ain't gonna happen.

>                                           and "exit 0 unless happy()"
> in the other?  Seems like they should both be dying.

exit(0) without writing a Makefile (or presumably a Build file) gets
treated by CPAN.pm as "I won't try to do anything more but it's not an
error".  die()ing exits with a non-zero value which does get treated as
an error except in the one special case above.

Devel::CheckLib's fatal errors use warn() to spit their message to
STDERR and then exit(0).

> This one is more like "requires perl built-a-certain-way".  I'm
> considering just throwing an error like this from Build.PL
>
>   die "missing library sys/ioctl.ph" unless happy();

if(!happy()) { warn "missing library sys/ioctl.ph\n"; exit }

--
David Cantrell