On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 08:30:49 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Andreas J. Koenig) wrote:

>  >> (Why do I care?  Because I get every other week a report of Time::HiRes
>  >> failing, that's why.)
>
>   > Yes, and other core tests are sensitive to load (stress tests for
>   > threads, Benchmark.pm, ...). So that would be useful. But since that
>   > probably needs to be discussed at the TAP level, please followup-to
>   > perl-qa.
>
> Why is nobody adjusting the time expectations?
>
> When I build perl with threads support I run into test failure far too
> often. Maybe there is really a bug? This is not only a TAP issue, it
> must be decided about better values for what the thresholds expected
> by the tests should be. To me it seems they are wrong.

They are an ongoing issue of debate. If you change the timing to match
expectations on a brand new 16 CPU fast Linux machine with lots of fast
memory, be sure to break the tests on slow small configured old single
CPU Solaris, HP-UX, or AIX machines.

It might be more realistic to build in some set_delay () function that
sets a basic timing delay in advance, that can be used throughout the
rest of the tests, so all tests use the same relative delay.

That was just a brain fart, shoot ....

--
H.Merijn Brand         Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://amsterdam.pm.org/)
using & porting perl 5.6.2, 5.8.x, 5.10.x  on HP-UX 10.20, 11.00, 11.11,