Michael G Schwern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Why make this change now?  I've always been frustrated at being hamstrung from
> using "new" features of perl.  The Perl Survey results is what pushed me over
> the edge. [1]  Only 6% of the respondents say they used 5.5.x as their
> *minimum* version of Perl in the last year and 0.5% said 5.5.x was their max.
>  As we didn't get specific about what they used those versions for, I suspect
> there's a lot of CPAN testers that reported it as their min.  I rarely get bug
> reports from actual 5.5 users, they're almost always from CPAN testers.  Thus,
> it's not a large enough population for me to spend my unpaid time and effort
> on and to delay new features.

There are exactly *two* CPAN testers using 5.5.x. And at least one of
both did not specify 5.5.x at all at the perlsurvey.

I find 6% surprisingly high. Isn't perl supporting operating systems
with a much lesser popularity?

Regards,
    Slaven

--
Slaven Rezic - slaven <at> rezic <dot> de

    tkruler - Perl/Tk program for measuring screen distances
    http://ptktools.sourceforge.net/#tkruler