On 29 Nov 2007, at 02:17, Michael G Schwern wrote:
Why isn't this just:

        prove -v t/mytest.t --test_args='--url http://example.com'

It's clear, it's unambiguous, it allows -- to mean what it's supposed to mean.

I agree re the semantics of '--' - but I'd rather have a sentinel than a quoted string. Having to get nested quoting right is a bit of cognitive load we can spare people from.

So:

* Andy's --testargs has the disadvantage of being visually indistinct from regular args
* '--' has another meaning by convention

How about some other short, not arg like, shell safe punctuation sequence?

$ prove -v t/sprocket.t -+ --teeth 12

--
Andy Armstrong, Hexten