Eric Wilhelm wrote:
> # from Michael G Schwern
> # on Wednesday 28 November 2007 20:11:
>
>> There's the additional problem that it restricts the test arguments to
>> only be allowed at the end of the prove command line.  This means
>> switch ordering is important, which will lead to problems
>> programmaticly constructing prove commands or chaining switches
>> together without knowing what all the previous switches are.
>
> Indeed.  Though one could argue that such conundrums are out-of-scope
> and it should just be a '--testargs' sentinel (possibly up to a --,
> though the tests may need that in a literal, so it's got another
> sentinel: --end-testargs, right?  (Yeah, requires a trick to get Getopt
> to play along.)
>
> Making it a quoted string won't work because we're using a list context,
> so we would have to deparse quotes inside that to preserve spaces.
> Backslash the spaces?

Oh, that's important.  No, we really, really don't want to get into multiple
levels of quoting like that and we don't want to be attempting to manually
split the string and try to parse out shell quoting.

In that case, then named sentinels would make the most sense.

How do other utilities handle this sort of thing?

--
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you
with 'til you understand who's in ruttin' command here.